Due to forgetfulness or mere negligence you might have dropped your expensive smartphone be it an iPhone, a Samsung Galaxy or an Xperia or a Blackberry or even a very dear less expensive phone in a bath tub or left it in your pocket and sent it for washing in a washing machine or in a hurry you might have dropped it in a toilet, the chances are that you may lose your precious data which you may not have backed up due to which you could be stressed up.
So here are the steps to make your smartphone work all again:
- Remove the battery immediately: If ever a phone has been wet we and our impatient mind have a tendency to restart it to see whether it works again or restarts, just bear it in mind that you never, never, never do this because it may severely damage the circuit and it may set you back monetarily. Just let it stay off and the first and foremost step is to take out or detach the battery from the phone. No power no harm to your equipment. It is also better to remove the SIM card/s from your handset, so that the SIM stored contacts are intact. A tip for some law abiding citizen is that remember even if your phone is insured, there may be a clause or even in fine print that the insurance does not cover a wet handset. So the next step is to dry your phone all by yourself.
- Open and dry the entire stuff: So the next step is to dry your smartphone all by yourself. Remove the front and back covers of the phone and blow warm air from your hairdryer and in a sweeping motion all over your phone in such a manner that you work on the places where you may think water droplets may have clogged for e.g. between clustered parts, mic, charging point, etc. After you feel assured that water may have dried completely then you can again assemble and carefully switch on the handset. Remember to use your dryer on a warm setting. Do not use it on hot or else you may damage or melt any internal plastic parts. You can also dry all the stuff over a heater or in direct sunlight.
- Using an air compressor: Blow medium air into the phone to blow dry any water out of your phone for this purpose it need not be necessary to use an air compressor you may use the blower of your domestic vacuum cleaner also. After this you can carefully switch on the handset.
- Other Conventional method: You can also completely cover your handset with raw and uncooked rice for sometime say about six to eight hours with patience so that water is absorbed completely by this method. Instead of rice, silica granules are also another effective solution for drying water from your phone. But this is not feasible if your handset was completely soaked or drenched in water or water-logged.
- It is most important to remove the battery immediately. So people just swathe the phone-off. That is just not enough. Removing of the battery within 20-30 seconds is necessary. The earlier the better!
- It is always advised to take a back up of all your data as the loss may be irreparable.
- If you do not know how to open up your device, you can search for disassembly videos of that model in youtube!
If you are not confident to fix the problem yourself, get it done at a service center. Also if any other fault occurs after trying yourself and you are unable to fix it, you will have to let a cell phone repair technician handle the job.
You can also read How To Repair Your Cell Phone Yourself (DIY) – Easy Guide